-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Thursday, August 19, 2004

-Bringing out the Bread-

I'm cleaning out the pantry in preparation for the coming move out of my apartment. Some of the items need to be tossed, like the (at least) one-year old Cous Cous. I ate the rest of the bread, and tried to anticipate how much food I'll need until the weekend.

Anticipation tells me that I'll probably need more bread, if only to soak up the rest of spreads (butter, honey, peanutbutter, etc.) - although, maybe not, since the last stick of butter has vanished entirely. If only the rest of my junk would disappear when I turn my back, this process will be that much easier.

Okay, I can throw away the cous cous, or the bag of raisin bran I never planned to use for lack of milk. But I have uncovered a healthy number of Campbell's brand tomato soup cans, and while the product inside will outlast my siblings' future grandchildren, I'd rather not travel with them all.

Since I keep coming across the cans as I clean, I've made a new rule; everytime I encounter a can of tomato soup, I fire up the stove and cook one in memory of the famous pop artist born a few blocks away from this location.

The third batch is on the stove now. It will be the third bowl in as many hours. Is that unhealthy?

There are.. some liberal additions to the steaming pot. Slices of squash attained from the South Side farmer's market on Tuesday. Smoked salsa, also from the farmers market. Garlic powder. Iguana Hot sauce.

Piquant is my style.

No porridge, gruel, or oatmeal, this bowl is for you:
Hot Soup Girl
Girls Are Pretty: 'Start a Family Day'
Candyboots: 'Inspiration Soup'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home