-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

-Socially efficient-

The next adventure hisses at me like teapot near boiling, and I’m just waiting to hear it scream. On Monday I took lunch with a coworker who is a ringer for an unrequited friend of mine from college; she’s kind like that one was, and giggles supportively even when I’m not trying to amuse.

Nice, but couldn't be any more annoying is she tried.

If history is any guide, she’ll makes passes for a while, then get angry and point out all the valid reasons why she should never have been interested in me from the beginning. After a year or so, she’ll marry a staid businessman, her experiments with neurotic men concluded, and my pink and black theory intact. I have resolved, however, not to let it reach that stage; I have all the data I need at present, thank you.

I’m getting socially efficient in my old age, aren’t I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home