-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Tuesday, November 11, 2003

-Testify-



Who are those people in your life that you feel required to defend against overwhelming odds?
I've got more than a few fitting that description. Teachers, bosses, friends, family. Vagrants and strangers. Most are downtrodden in some way, some (by no means all) are powerless or displaying weakness. Others are powerful and cynical, and most will gain nothing from my defense.

When I ponder the root cause, I have no choice but to remember my closest friend from elementary school, courageous and wise beyond his years. He escaped systematic bullying by planting his feet when he could, and sidestepping when he couldn't, but always returning to his original position with the unflappable air of someone enduring external foolishness. He would have made one hell of an office drone in those days, would have become Good King Watercooler had he lasted to the period where quips are capital, and public physical intimidation is frowned upon -- the great army of louts would have grudgingly worked for him.

And I was an avoider. Withdrawn, unaffiliated:

This miserable fate
Suffer the wretched souls of those who lived
Without or praise or blame, with that ill band
Of angels mix'd, who nor rebellious proved,
Nor yet were true to God, but for themselves
Were only.
-Canto III, Dante's Inferno


What a learning experience it was, then, the day the tactic of evasion failed, and I was called upon to assist my sturdy friend - or not.

I hesitated. He forgave me for my weakness immediately, blast him.

And since then, something snaps in me if I see someone attacked verbally, physically or mentally by a majority cabal. I'm not much of an advocate, and it is probably a somewhat selfish act, founded on a desire for penance. It may not even be advisable, if I end up taking the part of someone who doesn't deserve my support.

It is still better than the alternative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home