-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Friday, January 28, 2005

-Another session so soon, preparation was a snap-

When the instructor came in at 9:15, I greeted her without the smallest comprehension that she had scheduled a session for 9:30. I'd written this down last week, and hadn't thought about it since. - Despite every opportunity, not a glimmer.

So I shuffled papers at my desk (what a tell that is!) and told her to take her class right in. Less than fifteen minutes to find my presentation where the sun doesn't shine. Checked some internet sites I wouldn't have time to skim, much less verify authority. Shuffled more papers.


A Picture Share!
Originally uploaded by ernie.
I've never been a good cram artist.

With five to go I stopped trying and pulled my legs up on my chair in a semi-lotus position. Closed my eyes, touched my temples, ignored the papers and web pages and just tried to find some clarity.

Enter the circulation assistant, wanting, needing to tell me about reality TV and Carmen Sandiego and (this is a new one) quotes from 'The Hunt for Red October.' She's something of a savant, I can't think of a worse time for the girl to unload.

Once I heard her do the same thing to my boss at a moment of high activity. I think my boss said to her: "I love you, dear, but I need to work on this now." I can't do that, but I could send her off on another task, and I did so.

When the circulation assistant clocked out that afternoon, I stopped her at the door with a pseudo-Sean Connery voice. "Some things do not react well to bullets." She appreciated it, and to my knowledge, the class and instructor from the morning appreciated our session.

I'm overappreciated on both counts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home