-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

-Zincum Aceticum-

Two days on the job with one hell of a headache, pressing flesh as per introduction with poetic tissues in each coat pocket: clean on the left, soiled on the right.

Trying hardest not to sneeze on patrons and coworkers, entering records and providing reference until the human resource wonks bring new forms to sign.

All of the hall media screens flash a message from the nurse: "To stave off the flu, avoid crowded, smoky places with alcoholic beverages..' Too late.

And then one of the young administrators looks right into my red eyes and says:
"'Monk?' I know some Monks in New York - My uncle."

Guess we won't be dating then, love, since we could be related.

I didn't say that out loud. That strikes me as more of a second week conversation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home