-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Thursday, March 31, 2005

-Midnight Jolt: Social Disease-

High levels of concentration are temporary. Take advantage of them.


MidnightJolt
Originally uploaded by benedict monk.

[Don’t worry. It’s probably fiction.]

-Wow!

After all these years of failed relationships with different women met through work or school, I’ve found a much simpler way of getting along socially.

The old way had its convenience, I suppose. Carpools, only one conversation about classmates and coworkers in the evenings instead of two. But when the relationship goes toxic after one or both of us got to third base with a department head, I’d have to quit or transfer. And I hate to update my CV or find another place to do laundry, and (this is the killer) declare another 20 or so good songs lost forever because hearing them post breakup is the catalyst for a night of crying and drinking.

No longer! It’s just so much easier, I have learned, to ask the stranger who’s been circling the block all afternoon, every afternoon for as long as I’ve lived here. She’s so fit from all that walking, and all I did was ask. True, her habit of assigning ‘prices’ to individual sex acts seemed a bit anti-romantic, but everybody has their kinks, I suppose. Maybe she’s a business major or something. I’ll have to ask her when she and her brother (what a grip that guy has!) get back with the $200 I lent them for groceries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home