-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Friday, March 04, 2005

-Pint-sized Orwellian-

A woman came in with a child in tow, and asked for a videotape from a particular series on warfare. When she saw our selection (a well kept secret; don't tell!) she was inspired to select a few toddler-friendly videos, as well.

I checked three more VHS tapes out to her, and paused with the fourth, the red light of the scanner shimming a hairsbreadth away from the barcode. The cover features a blue sky, green hills, and cheerful barnyard animals.

It is a made-for-TV version of George Orwell's Animal Farm.

"Um.."

Some mischievous imp inside my head wanted to let her check it out without enlightening her to its contents. My sense of responsibility prevailed, and I explained that this video was an excellent choice, but was not, perhaps, what she may have thought it was originally.

She checked her watch impatiently, and yanked her child away from human traffic. "It's okay," she said. "I'll take it anyway."

I've got to start listening to my inner imp.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home