-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Monday, October 17, 2005

-Baked goods-

After a week of walking through the rain to work, I decided to infuse this downtrodden town with some of my disposable income. The bakery is just so economically pretty, with lace stretched along the inside the perimeter of the molding much the way a first-year teacher lines the classroom with ruffled paper.
Frilly but prolateriat cakes press against the glass with small town pride to acknowledge that big city cakes may rise higher, but here you can be certain to taste what you see.

Most of the time, anyway. The sign out front proclaimed fresh pumpkin pie, but the only pie in sight was the fourth quarter of a double header baked early that morning. If I intended to feed an office of 5-20 people, I couldn't begin with the last slice of pumpkin pie no one will eat to try to be polite or thin.

The apple cheese coffee cake traveled well, but the office was almost empty when I got there. It may have been a busy administrative day for those left behind, or maybe the need to kiss the asses of the visiting VIPs, but the first two people I offered the coffee cake nearly snarled.

Setting the box down for the eaters' tempers to cool did the trick. Within an hour, both of my bosses defied their physicians and sampled the cake. They were followed by the less alpha members of administration, once I had promised them that cake was bought, not made.

They have never tried my cooking, how do they know?

It doesn't matter.

Two bosses, two stomachs won. I should ask for a raise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home