-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Saturday, August 02, 2003

-Truest Grit-

Sleep deprivation and romantic consultation are ongoing.

My roommate and friends' romantic prospects are declining and improving, respectively, and mine own are non-existent. I've resolved not to complain or seek out old flames, thinking it better to ride out this single period in a state of self-improvement, and without engaging in machinations. If listening to their travails seems a bit trying, it's also good practice in restraint and judgement. I do not desire to be a doormat, but I still wish to be "nice," if that's at all possible.

Should nice behavior include risking oneself at night? I realize most people look upon my nocturnal walks as reckless, and my willingness to become involved when people commit stupid, violent, or hazardous acts as evidence of my instability. In my defense, I rarely see anything terribly exciting. Snatching the keys away from a drunk here, warning off a casual car-thief there - the risk of bodily harm is small.

When I do feel reckless, (which is often, lately) I encounter an insultingly small amount of trouble.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home