-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Thursday, November 20, 2003

-Four Messages In as Many Hours-

Due to a mailing address error, the phone company cut my local phone service one month after I signed up. As of this time I am still attempting to correct the problem. But it's had an interesting effect.

Because I have an answering machine, and the company hasn't reassigned the number, I can still receive incoming calls. As long as I resist the urge to pick up the phone, I can expect several messages a day from telemarketers, who seem to be the only callers at all these days.

Today I'd been gone for only a few hours, and returned to four messages. One was faint static, a five-second probing feeler courtesy of a call center mainframe. The other three callers evidently have less technology at their disposal. A call center guy saying "Hello?...Hello?" before giving up. Him I don't mind so much. Then we have the travel agency I gave my e-mail address to in a moment of weakness. This agency isn't content to merely spam me, they had to use my university affiliation to figure out my phone number and bother me that way, too.

The last is the most comical. This rep starts his spiel with all the fake enthusiasm these people are paid for emoting. Next he does the "Hello?..Hello?" thing.

Then he heaves a sigh that makes him sound tired and human again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home