-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Tuesday, December 02, 2003

-Incognito Communicado-

As I said on the 29th of November, Joseph Epstein's work got me thinking about the intellectual snobbery people like me tend to suffer, or inflict. I've thought about it as much as I can, current events and errands permitting, and got a new insight when Vainglorious ascended the garret stairs to borrow a black magic marker.

It turns out she is developing the Arachne dance performance for tomorrow, and needed to mark her "web," a strategically cut bedsheet. On my way out I knocked and asked if I could see what she had planned - feeling somewhat attached to this particular endeavor since I helped in the research process. After some fidgeting, prop fixing, and coy refusals on her part, and outright begging on the part of her apartment mate and myself, we convinced her to run the sequence as much as she could.

She did her best to sabotage the performance. She put herself down, informed us that she would not continue, said we were making her nervous.

It was still lovely.

When she explains the choices and emotions behind it, she uses an adolescent shorthand. She sounds like an MTV chatroom.
But the dance is high communication. It serves as a warning to anyone silently fuming over poor oratory, or misapplied grammar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home