-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Thursday, December 18, 2003

-Make Passes-

As per the comment section below, there is an urgent task before us:

We must come up with a new term that refers to the revolutionary beautification process of taking off one's glasses.

I'm not talking about the kind of removal that makes peoples' mouths turn up at the edges. Not the "hey, you were attractive before, but now you're really something, kiddo"

Nay, this is the kind of transformation that calls for a crescendo of trumpets as the hooks rise from the indentations on the ear. The object of Spectacled One's affection catches his or her breath as the lenses fall away and the shy ingénue's uncertain lips uncompress, and suddenly this pure and effortless beauty blazes - blazes! - at the audience, making US all fall back in wonder. "Why didn't we see it before?" we ask ourselves, "she's BEAUTIFUL."

Of course we saw it before. This was parodied so well in a movie I did not see; "Not Another Teen Movie" by Chyler Leigh. I wanted to include a picture of Leigh-pre-transformation, but could not find a good shot among the IMDB holdings. Then I went to Google's Image search. Oh, foolish, foolish man.

Maybe some dowdy, bespectacled pictures lurk among those sites, I really don't know. You see, the names of the sites suggest these are not things I can safely look up at work, unless I want to answer a lot of questions later. See for yourself.

But don't be gone too long. Don't get distracted!

We need that term. I am putting all of my reference skills to work on it.

In the meantime, check out this Salon article on the subject.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home