-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Thursday, March 04, 2004

-Pork x Four-

How to stretch four pieces of pork (total value = $1.75) across four days:
Give each a different flavor. In this case; honey, pepper, chili and garlic.

III. Chili

To be clear, this was chili powder; chili peppers mixed with cumin, garlic and oregano.
Yes, garlic. I am very sorry to rock the integrity of the series, but we will be brave and move on.

Chili begins with Peter Falk's Columbo, for which I am indebted to the authors of "Columbo: Just one more thing" and subsidiary 'Columbo's Chili Habit'

"Yes, we know that chili is a gourmet delight with a thousand subtleties. But more to the point, it is a sloppy mess that spills on your clothes while you eat it, emits a strong smell, gives you indigestion, wakes you up, sometimes gets you in trouble, and tends to make people around you get nervous. Chili is the "character food" of Lieutenant Columbo."

Ye gods, I think I see some of my rumpled self in Columbo. Chili Powder Pork Soup is enough to make one imagine a wife, who, for the practical purposes of the audience, does not exist. To struggle with math, swim slowly, have a fondness for a Peugeot. Before Falk and his ilk hijack the passage completely, let us remember that this Chili connoisseur stormed out of one of his favorite chili joints when he discovered that the Mexican chef had been replaced by a German one.

Chili Powder as we know it was created by a German Texan.

Local eatery 'Veracruz' refuses to spice my selections.

At this rate, I'll never find the Perfect Taco.

Some additional chili sightings:

When I think 'chili' I don't think Scandinavian.
But I suppose it is international.
Swedish Ethos Chili.
Many uses for Chili Peppers - (I have not tried this. You will have to take their word for it)
Wipe out wussie fingerfood forever, but only if you have shockwave.
Relevant Theodore Greer Photography

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home