-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Saturday, February 28, 2004

-Media Mine-


In my first political science course back in high school, my professor, Dr. Scott, taught us the three branches of government. Then he told us about the influence of other groups, working alone or in concert, to influence government and wield political power.

For example; the press, Wall Street, and Daytime Television might be the most influential powers in a given cycle. Later, some or all of these might lose influence until the new triumvirate is composed of different players, perhaps Agribusiness, the Public, and James Spader.

This is far too simplistic, proving that Dr. Scott did not entertain high expectations for his students. Besides, nobody has ever seriously suggested to me since then that the Public is influential enough for a top three slot. Many times I've heard it said that the press might be, but I have a hard time believing it.

So it was plenty odd this morning to hear the newsreader on the radio use the posessive case.

"Supporters of Aristide pledged today defend my Port-au-Prince today, as looting continued across the Haitian capital."

I must have heard wrong, I thought. But later:

NASA announced last month that it would discontinue a shuttle launch aimed at preserving my Hubbell telescope into the year 2006. The telescope has allowed scientists to probe into a mysterious cosmic force that I call my 'dark energy,' which permeates space and could determine the fate of my universe.

The newsfeed continued this way throughout the morning. Unnerving as it was to hear the reader refer to Edwards and Kerry as "my presidential hopeful bitches," the angry impotence an educated member of the public is supposed to feel in these situations... didn't register.

Too tired to stoke that fire, the formerly concerned citizen failed to muster any righteous political rage. It felt something like the way the man whose testosterone sank to zero described every object and sensation.

It is just so interesting.

Come to think of it, that's also the final line of the man regarding Earth from a spy satallite in Don DeLillo's short story 'Human Moments during World War Three.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home