-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Friday, April 16, 2004

-That beautiful day I saw from indoors-

C'mon! One more feedback loop, damn it.

Every so often, I get a glimpse of the first day over 70 degrees in six months. But I came into job1 early so I could leave early and be on time for job2. Can't think of the sun now, I'll think of it when I'm

walking out of job1, walking across grass that wasn't frozen or soaked, carrying a coat, squinting in the sun until I slide on those glasses and remember the sun the sand the sea, the sea birds. I travel directly to job2. Conditioned mind like mine stops yearning the moment I get on the elevator.

The boss from job2 turns over the reference desk - "These extended hours for exams.. They only seem to effect you! Ha-ha."
"Ha-ha." I reply. How bad can two extra hours be? Instead of leaving at 8 PM, I'll leave at 10. It's not a problem. But when a patron wants to know the hours, I begin to doubt my assumption. Did anyone actually tell me we close at 10:00? Why 10:00? I can't remember anyone saying anything about 10:00, and it felt so right a moment ago. No longer.

Turns out I'm working until midnight. What did I miss?

Students sunbathing while candidate Kerry speaks.
Drunk students threading through construction cones and giant holes in the road.
A transvestite parade taking place at the same time as the NRA convention.

Nothing to do but press my palms and nose against the glass and call for one more feedback loop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home