-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

-It's purely Botanic-

For now, I have found your small, agriculture college campus to be as bucolic as your brochure promised. This wooden bench on which I sit may have been donated by the same class of 2002 whose rowdy underclassmen still wander these footpaths in their pajama bottoms, but I take heart when it is arranged by a crack team of landscaping artists who have chosen to buttress each arm rest with a six-foot topiary.

This bench is my temporary office, my pine yoga mat where I sit in a modified lotus position and reach down within myself, serenely attempting to care about the administrative position I will be applying for in a matter of minutes. It's not enough to say that I need the position, or that my trip out here was long enough or inconvenient enough to justify the energy to appear excited about more paper pushing.

Survival and convenience fail to ignite the synapses. In a flash, the catalog gives me reason to interview:

After six months, employees may take classes free of charge.

Introduction to Legumbres, here I come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home