-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Thursday, August 07, 2003

-Galahad's Alarm Clock-

Permit, if you will, a momentary immodesty.

What I'm about to tell you is perhaps good and bad in equal measures, but yours truly has come out smelling sweeter than a sugar-shocked Critter in heat.

After a friend and I had said our goodbyes one work day, I made good upon my promise to take a nap before the nocturnal course work. I'd even set the alarm, and was doing a fairly good job of recharging the Monk batteries when my next door neighbor started a conversation on the fire escape. Since I knew I'd be unable to sleep through that, I rose and switched off the alarm to my clock about 15 minutes early.

But my hand froze in the act of reaching for the knob to my door -- (very cinematically, I must say) -- because I heard two voices from the common room.

One was the roommate's, the other an unidentified male. Undaunted, I started to move again -- but stopped when it registered that their conversation contained long pauses. Long pauses, and futon squeeks.

I muttered a naughty word to myself. How the hell am I supposed to get out now? But the plot thickens. My roommate's voice came through, and I could
tell she was uneasy as hell, "This is too fast..."
Pause.... [Squeek-Squeek]

Option 1: Kick open door, grab wok from kitchen, run into common room screaming like a banshee.
Option 2: Quietly open door, glide into common room, bug out eyes, ask them if they've seen my anti-psycotic medicine.
Option 3: Make alarm go off. Give them time to part.

I chose option three.

After about 10 seconds, I turned off the alarm and wandered about my room making lots of noise. Than I went into the kitchen, making lots of noise. Than I went to the bathroom, ostensibly to wash my face. Grunted hello on my way past. Ran water for perhaps 30 more seconds. Returned to common room to introduce myself--

But the gentleman caller had fled.

Prick.

The roomate has composed herself mostly. She quickly comes up with a story about her friend visiting that removes any element of nooky, wanted or unwanted. That's her choice, and I won't challenge it.

But now it causes me to wonder -- to what do I owe my thanks for being able to interfere and preserve her dignity at the same time? My alarm clock? My next door neighbor? My pathfinder, or perhaps the Tarot Card of Temperance?

Or maybe it's just me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home