-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Monday, January 12, 2004

-Afterword-

Consider this piece of Raymond Carver's, from the short story "Little Things":

But he would not let go. He felt the baby slipping out of his hands and pulled back very hard. In this manner the issue was decided.

Getting the last word matters. Take this contribution from Lemmy of Motorhead, in the recently released 'Straight Whiskey' by Erik Quisling and Austin Williams:

When I moved to Los Angeles in 1990, I made sure I was within walking distance of the Rainbow. And, luckily, it's downhill going home! Long may it rave.

Long may it rave... I wonder if that would fit on the next cover letter.

"...Thank you for considering my application. (Enclosed: Resume)
Long may it rave,

Benedict"

In journalism my specialty was headlines and leads; I'm ashamed to say my endings never impressed unless they called for a Miller's chop. And really, how often can one get away with that?

This is the end of a piece I've been working on.

"Do you really care what they think?"
"Of course not," I snapped. "why, what have they been saying?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home