-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Wednesday, January 07, 2004

-Called Off-

A hearty jog in the wee hours of yesterday morning gave me an idea: an episodic marathon.

A true marathon, of course, is an uninterrupted 26+ mile race. It takes people a long time to train for it, a long time to run it, and a fair amount of time afterward to recover.

The most ground I've ever covered in one race just exceeds ten miles, so we can forget about true marathons in the near future.

Could it be broken up into smaller units, and still be exercise? I should think so. The episodic marathon would actually be healthier than a true marathon, which wrecks havoc with nearly every system in the body.

Besides, this would involve bathroom breaks.

At this time, I estimate that I could do a mile at a stretch, once every hour, for a day and two hours. Perhaps this is too soon to try it, but my atonal circadian rhythms being what they are, there's no time like the present.

So, when I see the revolving digital clock/thermometer in the bank parking lot reading 8 degrees, I know the marathon is called off.

More time to train, I suppose. Perhaps a sponsor will come forward, as in "They shoot horses, don't they?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home