-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Thursday, January 29, 2004

-Reading From a Script-

A few months ago, there was a post about a man who called himself Joe.

Since that time, he has also introduced himself as Alan/Allen, but the Modus Operandi is the same. Somehow, he has managed to support his greeting habit.
Here's how it works:

JOE approaches pedestrian. Smiles. Then he asks two questions, followed by an introduction and a handshake.
1) Do you go to Pitt?
2) What are you studying?
3) Nice to meet you. My name is Joe [shake]

Just for fun, I've made sure that the three or four (or five?) times he's done this groundhog's day thing with me has garnered him five different false answers. It doesn't matter, because I find it hard to believe that he actually listens to the few answers he receives.

Tuesday night Joe came up in conversation with a friend. I found myself musing about his motivation. Next time we met, he would answer one of my questions.

Unfortunately, I would get my chance the very next day. On a street corner, as the wind rushed my face and filled my bleary eyes with tears, I heard the familiar opening.

"Do you go to Pitt?"

"You've asked me that several times now. What do you get out of that?" Probably not the most tactful way to find out, but I hadn't been expecting it. The blurred humanoid shape backpedaled and lifted his hands, palms out, thumbs a few inches apart. "No need to be rude," he recited.

My eyes are clearing.
"No, seriously. I just want to know why you do this."

"No need to be rude," he repeated in the same intonation as before. And moved on.

1) Do you go to Pitt?
2) What are you studying?
3) Nice to meet you. My name is Joe [shake]
4) No need to be rude!

So there's a fourth line. How far does his repertoire go, I wonder?

No, I don't wonder anymore. Call me crazy, but if I see him again anytime soon, I'm not going to have to fight the urge to knock that robot down and force the rest of the script out of him.

Not very hard, anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home