-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Monday, January 19, 2004

-Sarcast-

Someone used the term "sarcast," as a noun to mean "a sarcastic person" in the weekend edition of the New York Times. The dictionary confirms this usage; a sarcast is "an adept at sarcasm."

I believe I was adept at sarcasm at a very young age.

Many, many years ago, not long after I had begun to read, my favorite reading material was a number of Children's bibles; illustrated, tastefully edited, and complete with the ribbon for marking place. To this day, the thrill of handling the beautiful blue cover, with its lingering indentations from small fingers fading, fading and vanished is as clear as the day I first opened my eyes.

Which I can remember with incredible clarity.

Soon enough, this young reader would get his hands on a children's book of Greek Mythology, and decide that Polytheism held a definite advantage over Monotheism. But at the time, he was as much a Christian believer as could be, and embraced the faith with considerable, if adolescent zeal.

What do you want to be when you grow up?
That's easy, I would say. A priest.
No kids for you, huh?
No, I want kids.
You can't have a wife if you're a priest. No wife, no kids
PAUSE. ENTER THE CHILD SARCAST.
I'll get married, have kids, kill the wife, and become a priest.

The most amazing thing about it was that I knew I was being sarcastic, imitated sarcasm around me, and delivered it in the most tactless way possible - and yet, could not articulate and defend my sarcasm in the uproar of "Kids say the darndest things!" laughter that followed.

I wasn't serious. I was kidding.
Right, we believe you. *Smirk*

They still don't. Because they are sarcasts who lack "sarcdar."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home