-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Tuesday, January 13, 2004

-Wash-


35 minutes until the clothes move into the dryer. Time enough to explain my movie choice, provided the guy wearing the military fatigues and eyeing my clothes since 4:00 A.M. doesn't make a move on them.

My fascination for this movie is rooted deep in my childhood. As long as I can remember, my mother has been a deeply conservative woman with a very rare cinematic talent. Put on any movie, any movie at all. If it isn't her choice, she'll be in another part of the house, out of earshot and sight.

Out of sight, right up to the moment anything happens on screen that would strengthen a rating. At that particular moment, she's there. Just wandering through, on some unrelated "don't-mind-me" errand.

"You just notice the crudity of the scene when I'm here." She always interjects at this point.

A good response; everyone will simply have to accept my word, that of my brother and everyone else who has experienced this phenomenon - that it is very real.

Enter Judas Kiss, ironically her choice. Lured by the major actors, she sat my father and I down to watch it one night. She possessed no more knowledge of the movie's plot than the rest of us.

No sooner had the initial credits faded than we were treated to a very racy scene involving two space vixens. It's only a few seconds long, after which the camera pans back to reveal that this action takes place within the confines of the television a security guard is watching.

My mother made some horrified sound of disappointment, so upset was she to be betrayed by Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman. I couldn't hear it because my father and I were laughing, guffawing, at the situation.

Here mom tries to further damage my credibility. "You laughed, but you didn't take your eyes off the screen."

I've always liked science fiction, Mom. I thought you knew that.

The rest of the movie is entertaining, certainly, thanks mainly to the banter between Rickman and Thompson, who disguise their English-ness with Big Easy talk. Much later I would learn the film's true appeal, which is as far from Mom as possible.

It's a dating tool. First to check out the person's sense of humor with the banter, and their patience-to-mores ratio with the opening tease.

I've used it three times now, and I promise not to use it again. But to my credit, Judas Kiss unmasked three different people I'm better off without.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home