-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Thursday, May 11, 2006

-Tumbril-

There is an evil comedian in my head.

Let me explain..

Everyone is dressed up today. Just now, a tenured professor extended his arm to my boss, which she took. They walked in a show of mock-courtliness to an appreciation luncheon. As they left, the evil comedian called after: "The tumbril awaits."

This is a line from the western film Stagecoach, referring to the French revolution and the guillotine.

Why did I find this funny enough to say it aloud?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kingmob said...

I'd attribute it to your keen sense of appreciation for antiquated English.

Late July is no good for a trip. I have classes all the way through the first weeks of August.

May 18, 2006 1:40 PM  
Blogger YelloCello said...

I found it funny. Especially when I can imagine it said in your voice. Not sure the comedian is so much evil as wicked. And wicked smart.

May 20, 2006 7:42 AM  
Blogger Benedict said...

It is kind of you to say it.

May 21, 2006 4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home