-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Friday, April 23, 2004

-Free to do what-

The librarian preceding my shift left open her page of web horoscopes. "Don't dirty your shoes" begins Capricorn. By this time, I already had, thanks to the furlough from the first job. When you emerge from the temp joint with five dollars in your pocket and an army of dealers and whores lining up to take it... Eh, sorry for the exaggeration, but I'm generally pleased with the course the temporary employment took, though I doubt it will match in money what my forthcoming Sleep Deprivation Study will offer in job satisfaction.

Truly, I feel a slight uneasiness as I leave the temporary fold. My relationships with members in every strata of the office structure improved markedly after the initial "unclean" period, but some of the crucial 50 year-old women who managed my everyday workload seemed chilly the entire time. Wonder if they would have been happier, had I been bitterly divorced and nursing an infirmity, as they all were. Or if I were fond of the constant Billy Joel music. I really don't know how the one guy in that room survives.

But so many projects lie ahead, and not only those with sleep deprivation at the core. I've got a few months left to scheme.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home