-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Sunday, June 13, 2004

-Tent Cities with Smattering of Dirty Books-

My hands are shaking so much the actigraph must think I'm having a seizure.

Ducks, chickens, pigs, llamas, ponies; all are confined in concentric circles of rabbit wire regurgitated from the too-small animal trailer in front of the Carnegie Public Library. The trailer belongs to Mr. Bill's Petting Zoo, and I'm feeling the almost uncontrollable urge to liberate his creatures. If they could be herded a quarter of a mile into Schenley Park, I think, they would be safe. Sadly, the area is over-patrolled today, so there will be no great escape.

The animals are here to entertain children as part of the Summer Reading Extravaganza. Mr. Bill and the other gimmicks aside, the real reason for all of the tents and volunteers is to increase membership in the summer reading program. With the State Library Budget mostly restored, organizers were given the all clear to spend like the dickens - which they almost certainly would have anyway, due to company sponsorship.

Speak of the devil; I can't see them yet, but I can hear Radio Disney minions. From time to time, the sugary pop tunes cut out, replaced by artificially hollow adolescent warbles. Much as I'd like to pick up some inexpensive books at another booth, I need to retain my composure more. Time enough to drop my items in the return box and be on my way - until a whip cracks in my path.

An older man cracks a whip on the library steps, frightening young mothers and middle-aged grandparents. He must be part of the historical society crew, since I can't imagine any national bank or international mobile phone company empowering representatives with anything so legally irresponsible.

He's got the steps to himself when I approach.

"Are you here to keep me out of the library?"

"Eh? Oh-ho, Don't worry."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home