-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Sunday, August 31, 2003

-Straighten up. Fly by night-



There is no question about it. The onset of fall, and I haven't yet flown a kite. And I need to. Right now would be nice.
Which makes little sense, since I haven't flown a kite in upwards of 10 years. Maybe it's all part of the dementia. No! I don't have dementia. Allow me to amend that. Call it erraticism. Does that make sense? No sense. Nonsense. More likely I just want to reconnect with nature after a horrific brush with popular culture. The dramatists downstairs invited me to a screening of silly movies, and I foolishly accepted. Worse, I saw some merit in the film.

The movie I'd really like to see is the one based on Tom Robbin's "Even Cowgirls get the Blues." called, I understand, "Even Cowgirls get the Blues." Today marks my completion of the author's body of work. "Cowgirls" is the only one made into a film, and there doesn't seem to be another one coming, for good or for ill, because the critics panned this film. I went to the internet movie database to find out why. The casting folks placed Uma Thurman as protagonist, and I immediately muttered appreciatively. Pat Morita as the Guru, and I'm waffling; when I see Keanu Reeves taking the part of the effete asthmatic Mohawk artist, it's just too much.

Hence the kite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home