-an HEIR to the HORNBOOK-

Greatest Hits and Missives
by Benedict Monk

Friday, April 30, 2004

-Good Question-

I sit here alone, among the mostly empty shelves of this academic Law Library, using this free time patrons have opted not to fill with questions, to consider my next professional move. Multi-tasking is so important, is it not? In times of uncertain income, one must fill every moment with maximum productivity, especially those lazy, balmy, boring afternoon-evening-nights when the rest of the staff is gone, and the hours - thanks to final exams - are long.

Since my current mood is tolerant of entreprenurial endeavors like those operated by the good doctor, I believe I can set up my detective agency on the side. I'll multi-task and collect the caselogs in a forthcoming bestseller. While getting to know experienced information professionals in many different fields. While trading a stale social life for the excitement of uncovering the city's secrets, witnessing the parade of robber barons, thugs, witches, bitches and whores.

That is all within the realm of possibility, but in the meantime, someone has to get the rolodex started. A man cannot work with The Investigator's Little Black Book alone. Fortunately, the half-full shelves behind me contain some invaluable treepulp: The Pittsburgh Business Times 2004 Book of Lists. It is clearly intended for the big business gillitterati, those swayed by advertisements for office park landscapers, executive furniture, corporate law firms and elite private academies.

These pages contain contact and backround information on Architectural, Legal, Public Accounting, and Management Consulting firms; ranked by size and prowess. Minority or Woman owned. Highest paid executives. Highest paid public employees. And so on, and so forth.

This is my opportunity to pull a small piece of the establishment into my cell, and make it work for me.

Will it work? Will I? Good Question.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home